From Rita Donovan McCarthy’s research done in the 1980s:
“Four brothers and two sisters came from County Cork, Ireland
in the early 1840s and settled in the Garryowen, Iowa area.
They were Cornelius, Jeremiah, Richard, Dennis, Mrs. Henry Mahoney, and Mrs. Jack Culligan.”
RICHARD was our grandfather. We are searching for other family members who have been lost along the way. It is speculation but it is not known if they all traveled together or one at a time. Richard did settle in Iowa, but we don’t know about his siblings’ whereabouts. Some hints are suggesting a tie to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada, also Connecticut, Maine, and Colorado.
RICHARD DONOVAN was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1815. On August 13, 1848, he married Honora O’Brien Flanigan, a widow with two children.
Honora was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1809. The children from her first marriage were James Flanigan and Mary Flanigan.
- Honora “Anna” married Peter Gard. They had four children: Marie Agnes, Peter, Catherine, and Alma.
- Mary Elizabeth “Minnie” was born on October 5, 1868. She never married. She served as housekeeper for Reverend Daniel Desmond of St. Martin’s Church in Huron South Dakota for 42 years.
- John Thomas married Alice McClain. They had ten children: James, Joseph, John Joseph, Alice, Anna, Genevieve Veronica, William, Raymond Cornelius, Rita Carmelita (love that name), and Daniel.
- James was born about 1873 in South Dakota and died in Iowa on February 18, 1941. His WWI draft card lists him living in Sioux City, Iowa in 1917–1918 and his closest relative as “Charlott Loretta Flannigan.” No other information is known at this time.
- Margaret Agnes married James Jacobson. They had one daughter: Genevieve.
- William married Mary Ann Fitzgerald. They had five children: Edward, Margaret, Agnes, William “Billy,” and Juliana.
- Catherine “Kate” Euphrasia married James Patrick Fitzgerald. They had seven children: John Francis, Marcella Marie, Gerald William, Bertram, Catherine Julia, Agnes, and Monica Ann.
- Anna Marie died at nine years old in 1893.
- Mattie died at seven years old in 1893.
- Joseph died at five days old in 1889.
- John McDonnell married Mary Ann “Mollie” Byrnes. They had no children.
- Hannah McDonnell married Jerry Anglin. They had seven children: Jerry, Chris, Frank, Lee, Vince, Loretta, and Jenny.
- Patrick McDonnell never married.
- Margaret McDonnell married John McCarthy. They had nine children: Celestine, Isadore, Leo, Gertrude, John, Catherine, Mary Ellen, James, and Gerald.
- Ellen “Nell” McDonnell married Martin Crane. They had two children: Martin and Mary.
- Mose McDonnell never married.
- Jeremiah McDonnell never married.
- Mary Ann McDonnell never married.
- Catherine McDonnell never married.
- James McDonnell never married.
Richard and Honora had six children :
- Maurice Donovan (1849-1922)
- Cornelius Donovan (1850-1896)
- Jeremiah Donovan (1852-1923)
- Catherine Donovan Degnan (1855–1889)
- Richard Donovan Jr. (1856–1934)
- Hannah Donovan (1858–1888)
Richard and Honora Donovan gravesite
St. Patrick’s Cemetery